Sunday, May 24, 2015

Review: Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge



Crimson Bound

by Rosamund Hodge 

Published May 5th 2015 by Balzer + Bray

When Rachelle was fifteen she was good—apprenticed to her aunt and in training to protect her village from dark magic. But she was also reckless— straying from the forest path in search of a way to free her world from the threat of eternal darkness. After an illicit meeting goes dreadfully wrong, Rachelle is forced to make a terrible choice that binds her to the very evil she had hoped to defeat. Three years later, Rachelle has given her life to serving the realm, fighting deadly creatures in an effort to atone. When the king orders her to guard his son Armand—the man she hates most—Rachelle forces Armand to help her find the legendary sword that might save their world. As the two become unexpected allies, they uncover far-reaching conspiracies, hidden magic, and a love that may be their undoing. In a palace built on unbelievable wealth and dangerous secrets, can Rachelle discover the truth and stop the fall of endless night?
Inspired by the classic fairy tale Little Red Riding Hood, Crimson Bound is an exhilarating tale of darkness, love, and redemption.

My Thoughts

I adored Cruel Beauty so as soon as i heard there would be another likeness written by Rosamund Hodge I was thrilled. I can say I wasn't disappointed in the least!! Not only do I love her twisted take on some classic tales but I love me a good stand alone. I like the feeling of getting to the satisfying end in one sitting.

My favorite thing about this series (even though it's not a series) is that the lore is so detailed. There is a ton of history and it is nicely blended with the plot line so I never ever felt lost. Rosamund has this unique ability to reimagine and expand stories to such incredible heights. There is so much complexity in her work. She really has planned things out and it shows by her attention to detail. This lore was so unique,The evil lurking in the woods called the Great Forest and the curse of the forestborn. I'll give you quick rundown. If you are marked by a forestbound you can either become one by killing or you die yourself. Rundown over.

The characters are also very complex. Rachelle was so interesting to read about. I was on Team Rachele from the first pages. She is a very determined girl but also weighs her choices and what they do to her and her families future. I love the intelligence behind that. There is nothing worst then a hasty M.C. Well there is but you know what I mean. Let's talk about the boys. Okat so there is a teeny love triangle thingy BUT fear not for it is one that works for this story, very well if i do say so myself.

Erec who is in the same boat as Rachelle being a bloodbound, is charming and witty and most of the time a complete jerk off. For some reason he just rubbed me the wrong way. I don't like when people twist your words around and use them against you and Erec was the king of this particular manipulation of words. I was much more of a fan or Armand, who is one of the king's illegitimate children. I always tend to cheer for the underdog. 

I think that if you like a bit of a darker fairy tale with some serious world building and break neck plot twists then, you should read Crimson Bound. 

5 Snowflakes




3 comments:

  1. I'm currently reading Cruel Beauty and loving it so far. So excited to read Crimson Bound, too. :) I liked that the characters are very complex. Sometimes I find it hard to enjoy a story without interesting characters. :)

    Julie @ Books and Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't read Cruel Beauty but I now have a copy, so I hope to read it and also Crimson Bound once my preorder arrives one of this days!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, yay! I didn't like this one very much (despite liking Cruel Beauty A LOT) - mostly because of the romance. But the story itself is really great! I'll definitely be looking out for more by Hodge in the future. Fabulous review, Britt!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete