Sunday, November 2, 2014

Review: Stitching Snow by R. C. Lewis

16067008
Stitching Snow by R.C Lewis
Publisher- Disney-Hyperion
Released- Oct 14th 2014
Purchase- Amazon / B & N

Princess Snow is missing.
Her home planet is filled with violence and corruption at the hands of King Matthias and his wife as they attempt to punish her captors. The king will stop at nothing to get his beloved daughter back—but that’s assuming she wants to return at all.
Essie has grown used to being cold. Temperatures on the planet Thanda are always sub-zero, and she fills her days with coding and repairs for the seven loyal drones that run the local mines.
When a mysterious young man named Dane crash-lands near her home, Essie agrees to help the pilot repair his ship. But soon she realizes that Dane’s arrival was far from accidental, and she’s pulled into the heart of a war she’s risked everything to avoid. With the galaxy’s future—and her own—in jeopardy, Essie must choose who to trust in a fiery fight for survival.

My Thoughts:
Stitching Snow, is a very unique and unusual futuristic sci-fi twist on the classic tale of Snow White. Truthfully? If I didn't already know this was a retelling, I probably wouldn't have made the big leap into thinking this was about Snow White, there is very little that resembles the old tale and felt entirely like it's own science-fiction fantasy storyline complete with robot drones, aircraft shuttles and a lot of techy-techy talk. We also have a lot of different planets with their own political plans of war and trade with Essie caught in the middle between what she did in the past and what and what she means for the future.

While the writing is very sharp, I admit it still took a bit to get use to. The sci-fi is very advanced and detailed and felt overwhelming at times to follow while the political stuff always seems to leave me dazed. I was also slightly disappointed with the villains. They were more disturbing and unhinged rather then evil and their ending seemed a little easy and abrupt. Still, what Lewis achieved entwining this story was pretty creative and imaginative new look into storytelling. I especially liked the seven drones bit, some are not mentioned but there are a couple that are present throughout the story and my favorite was, Dimwit- the ever adorable loyal hair-brain pet. 

Essie plays the role of Princess Snow, which isn't a real spoiler given it's revealed pretty quickly in the story. But if your expecting birds chirping and kisses on dwarf's foreheads kinda princess, your not gonna find her in this book. Essie is, well, a badass. Left on the frozen planet Thandra when she was just nine years old, Essie had to learn how to survive in a hostile environment. Fighting in cage matches for profit and parts and fixing the drones for the miners, Essie may not be living the life of your average princess, but, at least she's alive. I thought Essie was pretty awesome, she's got spunk and she's feisty as hell, she's also very determined, capable, strong and doesn't take crap from anyone. She's got great energy and I totally loved her attitude and role throughout.
At first I wasn't sure how to feel about Dane. He had some ill motives at the beginning but slowly he earned my trust and admiration. I love how protective he was with Essie and I loved that the romance moved at a gradual pace, melting my heart slowly but surely .


All in all, I thought this was a decent entertaining escape. The storyline is quite fascination and action packed and fit for sci-fi junkies and retelling fans alike. Great character chemistry, witty dialogue and incredible writing skills. R.C. Lewis is definitely an author to look out for. A fun escape.

Find the author:
Goodreads / Website                                3.5 Snowflakes 

8 comments:

  1. AWESOME review, i got this book last week, i did not know it is about, it was a gift from a friend, anyway it is good that its retelling story - i love these book like cinder :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I love retelling books and I love sci-fi books, they are a lot of fun. Hope you enjoy this too:)

      Delete
  2. I've heard such mixed things about this! I won a giveaway of it a few wks ago but haven't gotten a chance to read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on the win:) Hope you end up liking it!

      Delete
  3. I agree with acrossthewords...I've heard mixed feelings about Stitching Snow. Either readers like it (not love it) or absolutely hate it. Something about it not resembling the original fairy tale and some other stuff I can't remember. I'm not sure whether I want to read, but your review definitely gave me some things to think about. I especially like that the storyline in all, seems very adventurous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've noticed that there are a few mixed reviews, but I thought it was cool for the most part. It's got a good sci-fi edge with a little fairy tale twist thrown in for fun, but adventure all the way;) hope you enjoy!:)

      Delete
  4. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed this one quite a bit, and I wouldn't mind much that this wasn't a too obvious retelling but more about the whole science fiction bit, because I love action and science fiction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's good, if you like action and sci-fi you may really enjoy this book. Happy reading!:)

      Delete