Saturday, October 25, 2014

Review: Firebug by Lish McBride

16117921
Firebug by Lish McBride
Publisher-Henry Holt and Co.
Released- Sept 23rd 2014
Purchase- Amazon / B & N


Ava can start fires with her mind . . . but is it a blessing or a curse?Ava is a firebug—she can start fires with her mind. Which would all be well and good if she weren't caught in a deadly contract with the Coterie, a magical mafia. She's one of their main hit men . . . and she doesn't like it one bit. Not least because her mother's death was ordered by Venus—who is now her boss.When Venus asks Ava to kill a family friend, Ava rebels. She knows very well that you can't say no to the Coterie and expect to get away with it, though, so she and her friends hit the road, trying desperately to think of a way out of the mess they find themselves in. Preferably keeping the murder to a minimum.

My Thoughts:
Ava wishes she could be a normal girl who wasn't home schooled, who could be have normal friends and go on normal dates. But Ava isn't normal. She's a rare firebug who can create fire with just her mind. She hates her job, but she doesn't have a choice since she has a blood pact with Coterie and the women who killed her mother, Venus is now her boss. They own her and Ava has to hunt down any one they want. But when Ava is assigned to kill a close family friend, she refuses and take off with her team, but one simply doesn't run from the Corterier and if Ava want so have any kind of normalcy, she has to face them down.

I've read McBride's Necromancer series and simply loved her dark humor and laugh out loud characters. Firebug is in the same universe as her other series, but you can read them separate and not get lost. McBride is a seriously awesome writer, I love how fun and alive her stories feel. They have some of the best energy and flare. This is paranormal twisted with  perfectly timed comedic flavor  that is easily devoured. I was only a few chapter in and already in with love with the set-up and tone. It's just unbelievably fun entertainment. But I think my favorite part of any McBride escape is how she crafts these amazing character chemistry's. The moment I met Ava, Cade, Lock and Ezra I was already completely invested and connected.

Ava is a great protagonist, she's got spunk and has fierce skills, but also has a big fuzzy heart. You know she doesn't want to hurt anyone but doesn't have a choice since Venus threaten to kill everyone she knows. But when push comes to shove, Ava isn't afraid to stand her ground and fight back. Lock is my boy! He's a half-dryad, which means he can talk to trees, it may not sound like a cool skill, but I think it was pretty awesome the way he uses it. He's charming, alluring, not exactly mysterious but he's got something behind those smouldering eyes that makes you see something simmering. He's also a born leader and I love how assertive and protective he is with his team.
Ezra is also the best. He's a shape-shifting were-fox and a natural thief and he stole my heart from minute one. He's hilarious and his comical timing was pitch perfect. The three of them have some of the greatest chemistry I ever had the pleasure of reading. Fun filled banter, witty sarcasm, sharp zingers and amusing dialogue. I love how they work together and always have each others back. They are a force when united and completely owned every second of this escape. There isn't a huge spot for romance, but I did see a lot of tension-bubbles throughout the story and I'm hoping that McBride will add that for the next book. I need more Ava and Lock!!

All in all, I absolutely had a blast with this book. The writing is captivating, the plot is action packed, entertaining and thrilling and the characters are addicting and funny as hell. I can't wait for the next book, I need more!

Find the author:
Goodreads / Website                              4 Snowflakes 

0 comments:

Post a Comment