Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Review: Perfect Ruin by Lauren Destefano

17339241
Perfect Ruin by Lauren Destefano
Publisher- Simon & Schuster books for YA
Released- Oct 1st 2013
Purchase- Amazon / B & N 


On Internment, the floating island in the clouds where 16-year-old Morgan Stockhour lives, getting too close to the edge can lead to madness. Even though Morgan's older brother, Lex, was a Jumper, Morgan vows never to end up like him. She tries her best not to mind that her life is orderly and boring, and if she ever wonders about the ground, and why it is forbidden, she takes solace in best friend Pen and her betrothed, Basil.Then a murder, the first in a generation, rocks the city. With whispers swirling and fear on the wind, Morgan can no longer stop herself from investigating, especially when she meets Judas. He is the boy being blamed for the murder — betrothed to the victim — but Morgan is convinced of his innocence. Secrets lay at the heart of Internment, but nothing can prepare Morgan for what she will find — or who she will lose.

My Thoughts:
I've read Lauren's debut novel, Wither, and while the idea behind that particular story-line didn't blend well with what I look for in an escape, I still enjoyed Lauren's strong and passionate writing skills and was anxious to read a new book by her. I'm happy to say that the Perfect Ruin was the perfect book to reintroduce myself with Lauren's work. I found it refreshingly unique, intriguing, suspenseful and even romantic. Simply put, I loved it.

High above the clouds is an oval floating city called, Internment. There, everyone is getting ready for the festival of stars, a long month tradition that's been followed for hundred of years. But there isn't much to celebrate when a young girl named Daphne was found murdered and left on the train tracks. Internment is in utter chaos as new rebellious acts follow the murder and the person suspected to be responsible has been caught. Sixteen year old Morgan has never seen her world like this. It's frightening, but it makes her curious and soon she starts to voice questions that she's only just admitted to herself. Things about the edge, the ground and the what if's of Internment and the only sky she's ever known and if it's the only possible answer after all. Not everything is what it seems and Morgan is caught in between her safe and perfect world up in the sky and the unknown ground below.


You know, I was really surprise and impressed with this book, I never thought I'd enjoy it the way I did. When I picked up this book, my intention was to only read the first chapter, but the story was so compelling and different I just couldn't stop reading, and before I knew it I was done. I can see now why Lauren is such a loved writer. I may not have enjoyed her debut novel the way I wanted to, but Perfect Ruin just sings right off the pages. I adored the way Destefano set this world high above the clouds. It's a crisp world, good natured,  educated and well mannered. The people of Internment have their traditions and rules and leaders and decision makers about marriage and children and life and death. It's the way they've always lived. It may be limited, but it's happy, simple and at peace. Lauren captures this world beautifully and it was fun and absorbing to see how things would play out next.

However, the looming deaths and impending doom seemed to repeat often, reminding the readers what these characters are facing. It gave it that edgy, anxious and desperate tone but it also felt a tad dragged out, not enough to be boring, but just enough that it tested my patience, wanting to get on with the story.

I really loved all of these amazingly put together and well developed cast of characters. Each has a personality that was simple perfect for this particular world and each brought in that certain spark to make me feel instantly connected and entertained.

Morgan is a dreamer. Her head is always down on the ground instead of being up in the sky like everyone else. But she simple can't help it. She dreams what it would be like to look over the edge of the floating city and see the scattered patterns on the ground and what else there is to discover. She doesn't necessary want to be a jumper but just knowing the unknown is apart of who she is. She dares to question her existence and challenges the way they live, which is what makes her unique but puts her in danger.
Pen is the best friend that everyone needs in their life. She's a sassy, true and loyal friend that has a firecracker attitude. She may seem a little snobbish at times, but I think that's just her way and she doesn't really mean any harm. Specially the way she treats Thomas, who is just as sweet and loving as they come.
Basil is my favorite character. He's the ever present and constant light in Morgan's life. I adore the way he protects her and stands by her, loving her no matter what she does or how she thinks.
I also really enjoyed Lex and Alice. Lex is complicated and a bit mad, and I wish we got to learn a little more of his back story on why he jumped over the edge and how he went blind, but still, he was a fantastic addition and so was Alice who has the patience of a saint.
My favorite part of the story is the fact that the romance between Morgan and Basil  is sweet, tender and constant. It was refreshing to see that it wasn't threatened when a new mysterious character was introduced. In most books I read, the girl always seems so uncertain of who she's with and then there ends up being some kind of love triangle. I'm thrilled that it wasn't the case here, since I'm rather fond of Basil and Morgan together. They gave the story that hope it needed in times of madness and they made me smile. A lot.
I also really liked the ending. It has my mind spinning of the possibilities of what's to come and anticipating the second book that much sooner.

All in all, I really enjoyed myself with this book. The writing is brilliant, the story line riveting and the characters remarkable. Destefano has a new fan and I can't wait to see where she takes these characters next! An outstanding read!


Find the author:

Goodreads / Website                              4 Snowflakes

5 comments:

  1. Glad to see you enjoyed it! I liked Wither a lot and Fever was pretty ok, though I wasn't in love with it, and I still need to read Sever, and I am really excited about this book. A lot of people have been saying some very good things about it. Great review!

    Vyki @ On The Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankies:) I wasn't much a fan of her other book series, but yes, this one I just adored. I'm so curious about what will happen next. Hope you enjoy this when you get the chance tor read it:)

      Delete
  2. I really loved this book so much. More so than her Chemical Garden books for sure. I just love the world and all the characters. I cannot wait to read the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work Liga Jerman

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for the issue and found most individuals will go along with with your website.

    Blogtalkradio.com
    Information
    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete