Thursday, October 3, 2013

Review: Made of Stars by Kelley York

Made of StarsMade of Stars by Kelley York
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Release Date: October 1, 2013
Purchase: Amazon / Barnes and Noble 
When eighteen-year-old Hunter Jackson and his half sister, Ashlin, return to their dad’s for the first winter in years, they expect everything to be just like the warmer months they’d spent there as kids. And it is—at first. But Chance, the charismatic and adventurous boy who made their summers epic, is harboring deep secrets. Secrets that are quickly spiraling into something else entirely.

The reason they've never met Chance’s parents or seen his home is becoming clearer. And what the siblings used to think of as Chance's quirks—the outrageous stories, his clinginess, his dangerous impulsiveness—are now warning signs that something is seriously off.

Then Chance's mom turns up with a bullet to the head, and all eyes shift to Chance and his dad. Hunter and Ashlin know Chance is innocent...they just have to prove it. But how can they protect the boy they both love when they can’t trust a word Chance says?

My thoughts:
OMG What in the hale just happened?!!  That's not how you end a book!  My heart is shattered!! I knew going in that this book was going to be tough to read, but I never thought it would end that way!  OMG what am I gonna do????

Okay I have no clue where I am going to start with this review.  Made of Stars is one of those rare books where not a whole lot happens throughout its pages, but what is said between the characters makes up for the lack of action and adventure.  Ash, Hunter, and Chance were the stars of this book and the author did an amazing job at showing them off.  These three have been friends for years but when Chance and Ash don't go back to visit their dad for two years a lot changes and when they finally do go back they realize that things can't go back to the way they were no matter how much you try.  Big secrets are revealed and lies are uncovered, but what surprised me is that these lies and secrets didn't break this group up it made them stronger.  Yes there were hurt feelings, but these three knew that the overall reasoning was not to lie but to hide behind a better life. 

I hurt for Chance, he really had it rough and too see what he went through was the toughest part for me.  I don't like to see any character go down certain roads, but when it is one that I hold close to my heart I just want to grab them and drag them away from the pages I know will come.  I loved that Ash and Hunter never gave up on him.  He was the one left behind, but they each felt the distance and their friendship was truly amazing when they came together again.

I don't think I will ever get over the ending though.  I have read so many books and been left with a "huh" look before but usually that happens when the book is the first in a series and I know eventually I will have my answers.  This book is a stand a lone and I don't know how I am supposed to go on with how things are left.  I mean after that many ups and downs, hopes and fears, and smiles and tears I really expected something else to happen.  I didn't expect a bight bow, but my goodness give me something.  I am honestly left a little ticked off.  That is why my rating is only 3 stars.  If the ending had been different I most definitely would have gone with at least 4 more likely 4.5, but with that ending I just can't do it.  So much is left up in the air and while I get where the author meant (I think anyway) I don't agree with it.  I invested a lot of time into these characters and I want more.  I guess I am a selfish reader but there it is I want more. 

3 snowflakes



1 comment:

  1. Great review. I'm currently reading this and I'm not sure entirely how I feel about it yet.

    ReplyDelete