Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Review: Outside by Laura Bickle

The Outside (The Hallowed Ones, #2)The Outside by Laura Bickle
Publisher: Harcourt Children's House
Release Date: September 3, 2013
Purchase: Amazon / Barnes & Noble
One girl. One road. One chance to save what remains…

After a plague of vampires is unleashed in the world, Katie is kicked out of her Amish community for her refusal to adhere to the new rules of survival. Now in exile, she enters an outside world of unspeakable violence with only her two “English” friends and a horse by her side. Together they seek answers and other survivors—but each sunset brings the threat of vampire attack, and each sunrise the threat of starvation.

And yet through this darkness come the shining ones: luminescent men and women with the power to deflect vampires and survive the night. But can these new people be trusted, and are they even people at all?

In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, it’s up to one Amish girl to save her family, her community, and the boy she loves . . . but what will she be asked to leave behind in return?
My thoughts:
If you read my review of the first book in this series, The Hallowed Ones, then you know that I am a HUGE fan of this author.  Laura Bickle managed to completely scare the daylights out of me with her insane vampires and I couldn't wait to get my hands on The Outside, the sequel.  Where The Hallowed Ones scared me and made me want to take shelter The Outside showed me that humans will overcome whatever is thrown at them and made me slowly crawl out of my hole.

I have to say something though about this book. While I did like it this one is very heavy handed in the religion aspect.  I understand why because Katie is Amish and her faith is a huge part of who she is, but I felt like it was kind thrown at you and right in your face.  The Hallowed Ones definitely had the religion in it, but I just didn't feel like it was a huge part of the book.  I felt more like I was learning along with Alex about how the Amish lived.  In this one I felt like Katie was going through more of a faith meltdown and that part did turn me off.  Like I said I understand why the religion was there, I mean it had to be when everything Katie knew was turned upside down, but I just wish it wasn't on every other page.  I think in my opinion there were other things that could have been given more attention.

Even with the religion being a strong part of the book I still really enjoyed it. Bickle's vampires are like no other and truly give me the creeps.  I had goosebumps several times throughout and I honestly never knew if Katie and her friends were going to survive or not.  This book made me sit on the edge of my seat the entire time I loved it.

I loved Alex.  He stood by Katie and never once pressured her or made her choose between her faith and him.  It is rare that we get to see two main characters who are love interests not fight and this was one of those rare times.  They just understood each other and it was refreshing.  Katie was an awesome character who would do anything to help anyone even at the expense of her own life.  I really admired her for that even when I was screaming at her to run.

My only other wish for this book was that I wanted more of a conclusion.  I don't quite buy into the ending so I would have liked something a little different.  I guess after the build up I just wanted a more balls to the wall approach if you get my meaning.  I am definitely a fan of Laura Bickle's for life though and I can't wait to see what she comes up with next!

3 snowflakes



0 comments:

Post a Comment